Thu, March 2, 2023 at 4:39 PM EST·2 min read
A flight from Dallas to Orlando was diverted to Jacksonville International Airport because of a fire that started inside an overhead compartment.
“My wife Debbie said to me “fire”, and I just instinctually jumped over the seats because I had to get to the isle,” Chierichella said.
He told Action News Jax when he got to the item on fire, it looked like a vape pen.
The plane traveling from Dallas to Orlando made an emergency landing at JIA, and when it landed, Jacksonville Fire and Rescue responded.
According to JFRD, the fire started in an overhead compartment, because of a battery in a passenger’s personal item.
JFRD did not name what that battery was.
But Rocco, who dealt with the flames firsthand and even burned his hands, described it like this:
“What it seemed was it was a backpack that had either in it or outside of it a vapor smoking device vape, with a battery and wires wrapped to it,” Chierichella said.
Action News Jax reached out to the Federal Aviation Administration to see how you can travel safely when carrying batteries on board.
Battery-powered e-cigarettes, vaporizers, and vape pens are allowed on board but must be carried on one’s person or in a carry-on, according to the FAA.
The FAA also says passengers should take effective measures for preventing accidental activation of the device’s heating element. Some of which include removing the battery from the electronic smoking device or separating the battery from the heating coil.
“This battery charging equipment and electronic, this is dangerous stuff,” Chierichella said. “It’s not the first time we heard of these things heating up and causing fires, how could they allow this stuff to be isolated in luggage.”
Other devices with lithium-ion batteries have caught fire while on board planes, such as an iPhone 6 which burst into flames aboard a Boeing 787 back in 2016. After the International Civil Aviation Organization prohibited cargo shipments of lithium-ion batteries, the Federal Aviation Administration also implemented a ban on the transport of lithium ion batteries as cargo on passenger planes.
FDNY Firefighter Carmelo “Carmine” Puccia was killed tragically on January 6, 1970, when he was struck by a subway train while investigating a trash fire on the tracks. His death was mourned, and then it passed into history for nearly everyone—except the family he left behind and some of his closest co-workers.
Flash forward to 2019. Captain Brendan Connolly, assigned to the FDNY’s Subway and Extrication Unit, became aware of Firefighter Puccia’s tragic death. He pledged to memorialize Firefighter Puccia’s sacrifice by dedicating the FDNY’s subway training prop
to Firefighter Puccia.
The incredible work of Captain Connolly and his staff—along with the story of who Firefighter Carmelo Puccia was—is captured in the NFFF’s latest podcast, After Action Review Series—
Red Light, Green Light, Blue Light.
The podcast is a two-part installment and tells Firefighter Puccia’s story through the recollections of the two groups most affected by his loss: his family and his department. Viewers and listeners will gain insight into Firefighter Puccia as a husband, father, and firefighter—and witness FDNY’s solid determination that we will never forget.
Check your pension statements for Catastrophic Insurance
It has come to the UFOA’s attention that pension deductions for catastrophic insurance premiums to Mercer may not have taken effect after a member retired or may have stopped since a member’s pension was reclassified. All retired members are urged to review their quarterly pension statement to verify that catastrophic insurance premiums are being deducted. The pension deduction code for catastrophic insurance premiums on the pension statement is CHIP MISC. If premium payments are not being deducted from your pension, you should contact Mercer immediately at 1-800-503-9230, option 2 and make alternate payment arrangements to bring their account up to date. You may also request that Mercer resume the premium deductions through monthly pension deductions. The UFOA does not process pension deductions or catastrophic insurance premium payments to Mercer.
WHAT'S ON THIS PAGE?
-OUR MEETINGS INFORMATIVE AND FUN!
~Volunteers for the Fire Museum~
-Counseling Unit Breakfast Schedule~
How to Join the
Retired Members Association -JUST GO TO THE HOME PAGE
We always bring in interesting and informative speakers to address you on the issues at hand. See above, Leroy McGinnis from the UFA at a meeting last year. This past year we have had others speak about wills and trusts, health care, pension issues, upcoming events etc. Jimmy Hayhurst asks all to contribute to Building Homes for Heroes and the response is always positive for our disabled war vets.
See above, Jim Hayhurst addressing a packed house at our meeting in New Hyde Park at the Elk's Club; 901 Lakeville Road. Our other location is in Brooklyn at the K of C Hall; 3051 Nostrand Ave [corner of Quentin Road and Nostrand Ave] We begin at 8pm and enjoy food and beverages but most of all we enjoy hanging out with friends. Make it a point to get to one
of our meetings,
we'd love to have you!
BECOME A VOLUNTEER AT THE FIRE MUSEUM
278 SPRING ST. NYC, NY
One day a week for a few hours plus ample parking.
Helps keep our great history alive to school children
Contact: Sarah Judd, Executive Director (212) 691-1303 est. 15
or Jim Vreeland, Volunteer (718) 833-6410
~Fort Totten CSU:
Fort Totten, Bldg 413B Bayside, NY 11361 (718) 352-2140 meets the 3rd Friday of every month. Meetings begin at 10:00am
~Deer Park Firehouse
94 Lake Ave. Deer Park, NY 11729 (631) 667-3500
meets 2nd Tuesday of every month. Meetings begin at 9:00am
~Staten Island: 1688 Victory Blvd Suite 101 Staten Is., NY (718) 815-4111 Meets the last Tuesday of every month , the location for the breakfast is Jimmy Max Restaurant 280 Watchoque Road
~Middletown CSU: 2279 Goshen Tpke. (845) 695-1029.
Meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month Meetings begin at 9:00am For further information: Contact Greg Smith at (212) 570-1693 ext-317
Copyright © 2023 Retired Member's Association of the NYC Fire Dept. - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy